Friday, June 19, 2020

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

Fresh picked strawberries always remind me of my childhood.  Growing up my aunt and uncle had a strawberry patch and I was always envious of their fresh strawberries.  So much, that I begged and pleaded for my parents to let me have my own.  One year they finally gave in and and when my aunt and uncle needed to thin out their patch, I was allowed to bring some plants home to plant in my very own patch.  Soon we had so many strawberries that we couldn't eat them all.  My grandfather, affectionately known as PopPop had a great idea.  He decided to get some berry baskets, load me and my strawberries into his pick up truck, and peddle my strawberries all over the area.  I don't remember how much money we made that summer but at the time, I felt like it was a fortune and it is a fond memory that I still have of him.


Our CSA farm has pick your own strawberries but our weekly share basket has been loaded with them for the past three weeks.  We have eaten them plain, on top of a delicious pound cake with homemade whipped cream, and most recently I made a strawberry rhubarb crumble with it.  My kids liked this recipe so much that they requested I make it again.


Since the strawberry rhubarb crumble was such a hit, I decided to share the recipe.  This recipe came straight from our CSA at Solly Farm and has definitely earned it's place in my collection.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

1 stalk of rhubarb, diced 1/4 inch thick
2 cups fresh strawberries, diced
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 cup oatmeal, old fashioned
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Grease an 8x8 inch glass baking dish and set aside.
2. Toss together the rhubarb, strawberries, cornstarch, and granulated sugar until coated.  Dump the mixture into the greased baking pan and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, and salt.
4. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender.  Continue working in the butter until it clumps together into crumbs.
5. Top the strawberries and rhubarb with the crumble.
6. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until crumble is browned and filling is bubbly.
7.  Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment